SPRING CLEANING THAT TURNS INTO MAINTENANCE
Spring has sprung, and so has spring cleaning for many people. The weather is warm and sunny and you want to refresh the house, open the windows and let in the fresh air. Getting rid of wintertime clutter is also a huge priority, maybe trekking out to the garage or shed to store things was not enticing with three feet of snow on the ground.
Where do you start with your spring cleaning?
- Clutter is the first priority. De-cluttering and keeping things clutter free can be a great stress reducer.
- Sort and organize what you want to keep to use, store or what to take to the thrift store.
- Work room by room so not to get overwhelmed.
- Have totes and boxes ready for sorting.
- Be ruthless when you sort.
As you go through each room to spring clean you need to have a note pad handy so that you can make a list of repair and maintenance things that you need to have your handyman fix. Spring cleaning is the best time to look for those repair and maintenance issues, because it is warmer and you feel more like tackling them yourself if possible. When it is something that you do not have the skills to do it yourself, then you want to hire a handyman to make the necessary repairs professionally.
What to look for throughout your house for repairs and maintenance
- Doors. Check for cracks and sealing issues that allow heat and cold air to come and go when you don’t want it to.
- Windows. Cracked glass, seals, hardware and screens need to be checked.
- Water Leaks. Damage from snow and storms can cause leaks that you do not typically see on a daily basis. You want to check your bathroom carefully, and ensure that your roof survived the winter in good shape.
- Porch or deck. Check for loose boards, screws and nails that have worked out or up where someone can get hurt. If you need to seal wood spring is a great time to take care of that.
- Gutters. This one you may really need to have a professional take care of for you. This can be dangerous. Gutters should be cleaned and guards checked at least once a year.
Tips for choosing a great handyman
- Referrals. Friends, family and co-workers are great referrals for an honest professional handyman.
- References. Ask for references you can call that have had completed work.
- Online reviews. If you don’t know anyone who can recommend a good handyman service, do a little bit of research yourself. Websites such as Yelp or Homestars have a database of local cleaning and handyman services with reviews left by their customers.
Leave a Reply