Christmas Letter Recipe – Gingerbread Linzer Cookies with Dulce De Leche Centres
We wanted to share the cookies included in our December 2021 Christmas letter, here on our blog.
This recipe comes from a team member who likes to serve them with tea or coffee this time of year. Happy baking!
Makes 12-24 cookies
(depending on cutter size)
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
For The Dulce De Leche:
- 15 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For The Spicy Shortbread:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fancy molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For The Dulce De Leche:
- Remove label from the sweetened condensed milk and place the can on
its side in a pot of boiling water.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 3 hours.
Important: Make sure the water covers the top of the can at all times
(you will have to pour in more water from time to time).
- Carefully remove can from water, allow to cool slightly, then open and stir in salt.
- Set aside.
For the Spicy Ginger-Shortbread:
- In a mixer, whip butter, brown sugar and molasses until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, spices, and salt. Pour into mixer, pulsing until combined.
- Separate dough in half and pound into disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove one disk of dough from the fridge and place on a floured work surface. Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Your dough may be crumbly at first, just knead it a bit before rolling.
- Using a 3-inch fluted edge cookie cutter, cut out disks of dough and place onto baking sheets. Use a 1-inch fluted edge cutter to cut out the centre of half of the disks of dough. Repeat this process again with your leftover scraps of dough.
- Repeat entire process with second disk of dough.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. The cookies should be slightly soft to the touch. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking trays, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dust the centre-cut cookies with powdered sugar. Place a rounded teaspoon of dulce de leche in the centre of a full cookie and then sandwich it with the powdered-sugar cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Please let us know if you’ve made them too and how you like the spicy shortbread!